Tuesday 12 October 2010

Iain/Simon 20th September 2010

Over the past two weeks we have started a new brief with the theme linked to the idea of "Journey".
My initial idea for my journey would be a physical journey I take regular to my Sisters in High Wycombe, but as I would not be visiting my sister over the Half-term break, So I decided to base my journey on a train trip to a totally random place and gather an archive of information including leaflets, flyer's, tickets, souvenir, plenty of picture of scenery. But also how I feel on the day, what the weather is like and what people on the train are saying. 

I have now started to look into the work of more artists that inspire me, for example Tom Judd, Julia Midgley and the typefaces from designers on misprintedtype.com, I have some examples of their work below. In Iain experimental lessons I have experimented with the methods of Tom Judd and Julia Midgley. Julia Midgley uses newspaper, pen & ink and paint in her work. I have used this method on a number of my experimental piece.  







Midgley, J.(2004)Newspaper Drawing Walker Art Gallery 
Acrylic Ink[online], Documentary work, availble from: http://www.juliamidgley.co.uk/documentary.html
[accessed date: 21.10.10]
     Moksha typeface(2007) [onloine], availble from: http://www.misprintedtype.com/v4/
[accessed 21.10.10]
 Pastalaria(2007) [onloine], availble from: http://www.misprintedtype.com/v4/  [accessed 21.10.10]




Judd, T. (2007) Refinery oil on collage with digital photo[online], availble from: http://www.tomjuddart.com/site/painting#/site/images/stories/paintings_image/robin.jpgOverall, we were slightly confused with the how Iain and Simons's lesson's are connected and needed this clarifying, once clarified we understood. I have significantly improved my skills in my experimental sketchbook, I am breaking away from what I think a sketch book should look like and attempting different techniques and ideas. some pages from my sketch book are below.


Sketch Book work


Here Ive attempted to turn the image into a collage, quite similar to the work Tom Judd, but it didn't work out. So I thought arranging the segments of the picture like this, would be more appealing.






The picture above is a copy of a national rail map, covering all key train stations in the West Midlands area. I have used the techniques of Julia Midgley, I have applied pen & ink on top of tea stains.






The Above is an example of a 1-point perspective drawing of Lloyd's Bank in Stafford Town Centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment